Director of Sinapis Academy
Director of Sinapis Academy
Position Overview: Sinapis is looking for a leader who will manage the global expansion of the 16-week Sinapis Academy for entrepreneurs and manage our East Africa operations
Reporting To: CEO
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Term: Permanent, minimum 2-year commitment; 6-month probationary period
Our mission at Sinapis is to make disciples and alleviate poverty through the power of entrepreneurship. We are currently expanding our global operation which consists of three programs:
- The Sinapis Academy. Sinapis partners with local organizations to deliver the Sinapis Academy, an intensive 16-week business training program similar to a mini-MBA but customized for early and growth-stage ventures. This intensive entrepreneurship training program is extremely practical, locally customized and specifically designed for entrepreneurs at different stages of business growth. The program equips business owners with the necessary skills to grow their businesses along with Christian business principles to instill a higher purpose for their businesses and give them courage to triumph over ethical challenges in the marketplace.
- Sinapis Business Plan Competition. Upon completion of the training program, the entrepreneurs are eligible to compete in the Sinapis Business Plan Competition, an annual competition in which the top 5-7 finalists compete for investment capital at a live pitch event.
- Fast Track Fellow Accelerator Program. The Sinapis Fast Track Fellows (FTF) program is a 6-month accelerator that serves up to 10 entrepreneurs per year who have businesses capable of significant growth. The program begins with a customized business assessment for each participant coupled with access to high quality consultants, professional advisors, advanced training, investor match-making and biblical integration.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
As Sinapis continues to expand, a key part of our strategy to empower 10,000 entrepreneurs is to scale the Sinapis Academy globally and improve the quality and scope of our existing services in East Africa.
- Serve as the global leader of the Sinapis Academy. Primary responsibilities include partner identification, management of organic program launches, curriculum adaptation, partnership management, monitoring and evaluation, and adaptation of the curriculum to create new products for the global marketplace
- Lead the Kenya country office and manage the Kenya Country Manager to drive excellence in both the Sinapis Academy and annual Business Plan Competition
- Develop the staff in Kenya to help them to achieve their annual goals and grow professionally
- Oversee the implementation of the Fast Track Fellows accelerator in Kenya to ensure that it is producing high quality, investment-ready entrepreneurs
- Partner with our team to manage expansion to Uganda in 2018 and other potential new markets in East Africa such as Rwanda and Tanzania
- Provide spiritual leadership to our staff, Fast Track Fellows, and alumni
- Promote Sinapis to social entrepreneurship, impact investing and traditional development forums
- Partner with the Sinapis executive team and board to create linkages for Sinapis entrepreneurs with investors and market opportunities in East Africa and other international markets
- Represent Sinapis to existing partners, donors and advocates of Sinapis who visit Kenya from around the world
- Work with the CEO to identify and author proposals and grant applications to secure grants from funders in Kenya and East Africa
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- You’re a Christian who wants to live out your God-given calling for private sector-based poverty alleviation, while helping people find and follow Christ in the marketplace
- You deeply desire to see God use Sinapis to produce economic, social and spiritual impact
- You are a successful entrepreneur, business leader or international development professional who has experience in running a business or accelerating entrepreneurs
- You’ve spent significant time living and working in East Africa, and you loved it!
- You have a great education and have excelled in demanding professional environments for the last 5 years or more, but you’re craving something more
- You are extremely adept at cross cultural leadership and managing teams to achieve goals through faithful execution
- You could easily shift from talking about the biblical basis for Kingdom Business with a pastor in one meeting to talking about challenges of SME investment in Kenya with a growth-stage impact investor in your next meeting
- A heart for our organization’s mission, a calling for this work, and a long-term passion for alleviating poverty through private sector development
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience
- Undergraduate degree in business, economics or international development from a strong school
- Demanding professional work experiences that demonstrate giftedness in management and operations, scaling a product or service, proactivity, problem solving, creativity, and resilience in the face of adversity
- Knowledge of startup and SME entrepreneurship, especially in emerging market contexts
- Experience in managing budgets and performing financial analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and cross-cultural communication skills
- Ability to work in a small team/startup environment
- Willingness to travel to support new country launches and ongoing implementation
- Extremely positive attitude and friendly disposition
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- MBA, MPP, MPA or related degree
- Two+ years of work experience in an emerging market, preferably in Anglophone Africa
- Proficient in Salesforce
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Deep, fulfilling impact – This is a mission from God that will impact thousands of lives economically, socially and spiritually
- World-class development experience – We work at the frontier and leading edge of private-sector development, and you’ll gain excellent experience in market analysis, new market entry and scaling up of a social enterprise/NGO
- Fantastic network – You’ll develop a robust network of contacts and forge relationships across East Africa, in the U.S. and in many of the most exciting entrepreneurial ecosystems in the world
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING
Please send us a well-formatted and written cover letter that addresses the following:
- What motivated you to apply for this role?
- Sinapis is a Christian organization with a vision of empowering 10,000 kingdom entrepreneurs around the globe to help take back the marketplace for God’s glory. Briefly describe what this vision means to you.
- Discuss your experience in economic development and/or entrepreneurship acceleration including major accomplishments.
- Discuss the key activities you would undertake that you feel would maximize your chances for success in this role.
- What else would you like to share with us as we consider your application? (You may discuss expected constraints, personal circumstances, professional aspirations, or anything else you feel would be relevant for the hiring committee to consider).
We are excited to read your cover letter. For ease of sharing, please send your it along with your resume in PDF format to email@example.com.
In your Subject, reference, “Director of Sinapis Academy Application – Last Name, First Name”
Director of Sinapis Academy Job Description-3